Fox went first early this morning in this Upfront presentation mania week and…it’s weak. I really wasn’t expecting too much though because the network has been number 1 in 18-49 viewers for 8 years and why rock the boat? There were a couple surprises though, and kudos to all the fantasy schedulers that had Glee moving to Thursdays at 9pm in their predictions.
A few new shows are being held for midseason, including the new highly anticipated Kevin Williamson thriller “The Following.” Here’s some other stray comments made at this morning’s Upfront presentation conference call:
– For those highly anticipating who the new “X-Factor” judges are, color me undwhelmed with Britany Spears and Demi Lovato. Granted a solid block of wood would be better than Nicole Scherzinger but really, Paula Abdul wasn’t that bad. At least she had the experience factor. We’ll see how it turns out, but I don’t think these new judges will be inspiring me to watch now. I’ll watch because I love Simon Cowell and LA Reid has chair dancing down to a brilliant art.
– ”Touch” is being moved to Fridays because they think the show has excellent potential to be DVR’d as much as “Fringe” (which see’s 70% boosts in audience by DVR). I’m not sure of the logic. I get it’s okay for an aging show that needs to build up episodes for its lucrative catalog, aka “CSI: NY” and “Supernatural,” but this show barely made it to it’s second season. A very odd spin for “Touch.”
– ”American Idol” is again going through some creative tweaks. Oh, that cracks me up every year I read that. Unless contestants are up there signing while tossing flaming batons into the air, I’m not sure what can be tweaked. It’s just an overdone concept anymore. I do agree though the show still has life.
– Fox wants a new generation of animation shows, but what they have works fine now. Considering “The Simpsons” is going into it’s 24th season just so they can feed the syndication machine and ditto for “Family Guy,” I’d say that explains right there why the lineup is staying put.
– “Glee” will have new guest stars. Wouldn’t the shocking announcement have been no guest stars?
– I guess “COPS” wasn’t cancelled after all. They are only returning midseason though, when there are no sports on. That’s actually a good Saturday lineup for a change.
Here’s the schedule:
8:00-9:00 PM Bones
9:00-10:00 PM The Mob Doctor (New)
Midseason: The Following (NEW)
8:00-8:30 PM Raising Hoper
8:30-9:00 PM Ben and Kate (New)
9:00-9:30 PM New Girl
9:30-10:00 PM The Mindy Project (NEW)
Midseason: The Goodwin Games (NEW)
8:00-10:00 PM The X Factor/American Idol
8:00-9:00 PM The X Factor Results/American Idol Results
9:00-10:00 PM Glee
8:00-9:00 PM Touch
9:00-10:00 PM Fringe
Midseason: Hell’s Kitchen
7:00-10:30 PM Fox Sports Saturday
7:00-7:30 PM NFL Game (fall) / Animation Domination (encores)
7:30-8:00 PM The OT/The Cleveland Show
8:00-8:30 PM The Simpsons
8:30-9:00 PM Bob’s Burgers
9:00-9:30 PM Family Guy
9:30-10:00 PM American Dad